Re: Instal failiures on a Macintosh LC475

On Wed, Sep 07, 2005 at 09:03:56PM -0700, Yan Seiner wrote:
> Stephen R Marenka wrote:
>
> >On Tue, Sep 06, 2005 at 11:59:44AM -0700, Yan Seiner wrote:
> >
> >>Partman never lets me create any partitions.  It chokes on "Detecting
> >>file systems" or something similar.  It hangs; I can ping the machine on
> >>the network but otherwise it appears dead.  I can type at the keyboard
> >>and characters appears on the screen.
> >>
> >>I didn't know how to change ttys (I do now) so I can't post log info...
> >>I will test tonight or tomorrow and see if I can provide better info.
> >>

> >Did you confirm that you don't have one of the problematic 68LC040s? I
> >had to swap mine out before the system was stable for any length of
> >time.
> >

> OK, I have identified a possible cause for partman hanging....  The
> ramdisk fills up.

Is that the sarge or the etch installer?

If sarge, then no, the ramdisk does not fill up -- that's been tested
quite thoroughly. If partman hangs, it really is because of your LC040.

If etch, then it might be because of the additional languages that have
recently been added, but I don't think that's likely, since...

> When it hangs, the ramdisk is 95% full.  So I increased the size of
> the ramdisk by 1 MB (redid initrd to be 14 MB and changed the
> ramdisk_settings as well as the kernel command line).
>
> It hung again, with 95% of the ramdisk full....

... you tried to fix it, and it didn't work.

pavement is precisely one bananosecond