Re: Help

On Tue, 2005-08-09 at 11:10 +0200, Christian T. Steigies wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 09, 2005 at 04:59:36AM -0400, Mark Duckworth wrote:
> >
> > > If that's outside your league, there are still more things you could do.
> > > Christian Steigies and Michael Schmitz both have a CT060, but they're
> > > having problems setting it up; if yours is running correctly and running
> > > Debian, perhaps you could help them fix their issues.
> > >

> > Not running debian yet.  That's the first thing to do is get that
> > installed.  I'll have to repartition my disk as I have like a 20gig
> > partition dedicated to mint that could be shrank a bit ;)  I'll probably
> > just buy another hdd instead to dedicate for debian stuff.
>
> I haven't powered my box on for a while, so my memory is fading. As an atari
> newbie, I have problems with getting the hardisk recognized. IIRC I
> successfully partitioned and formatted the disk from linux, but I have
> trouble mounting the disk from TOS when it boots up. I think I always have
> to load a driver from floppy to get it recognized. All the TOS software I
> found would not make the disk bootable. Is there free software out there
> that can partions the disk and make it bootable, so that I can access it
> immediately after booting? Would be very helpful if I actually want to boot
> linux on the machine. The machine came with no software. I did get a
> harddisk (400MB or so) with some software on it, also some hdd tool, but
> that refused to work with the 060 I think. I've been searching the web for
> quite a while, with not too much success, so maybe you as an atari expert
> can teach me the basics.

Firstly, what type of Atari machine do you have?  Basically you need
what was referenced in the more recent email from Petr.  Cecile, AHDI or
some other application.  The beginning of your basic education involves
what type of machine you have though, and what accessories.

> The is much easier with my first atari... just pop in the catridge, power on
> and play away...

Well this is a real computer.  The cartridge based machines were toys in
my eyes.

> BTW did you flash your CT60 yet? I ordered the jtag cable, if it would
> arrive within the next two weeks, we could flash Michaels CT60 as well, when
> I am in Duesseldorf.

Yes, I got the JTAG cable from Ajje when he made them originally (years
ago now I think).  I performed the CT60 solders installation for lets
see...  5 different USA people who mailed their falcons to me.  I also
updated them, etc.  One falcon I did basically every upgrade possible
with oscillators and overclocking each individual component, so when it
comes to the falcon I'm pretty knowledgeable.

It's interesting to me if you bought a falcon and a CT60 without having
much knowledge of atari 32bit machines.  Seems like a big investment.

I don't however know how to get linux installed on it ;)

So we'll see what happens.

Thanks,
Mark