Unable to boot Woody on Amiga

Hi,

Hope someone can help: I've been through all the installation instructions and all the 'readme's I can find and I'm obviously missing something here.

Amiga A1200 with Blizzard 1240 (full 040 with MMU and FPU) 128mb memory.
Installing Debian 3.0r2 Woody (3.0.23-2002-05-21) form install disks (bought from Midnight Software, UK) onto primary IDE slave - linux root partition is #1, swap partition is #2.

Have also installed it onto A4000 and had the same issue so this is almost certainly a software issue, or an error ID 10t.

Installs OK - no obvious errors or missing parts (follows the exact script described in the installation guides).  Reboot amiga (by allowing the installer to reboot the machine).  Then open a text editor and write the boot file.

amiboot-5.6 -k linux.bin root=/dev/hdb1 ro

save (I called it 'startdeb') and set executable flag.  Move amiboot-5.6 into command path (I put it into my c: directory).

When I run the file 'startdeb' I get the following output:

****

Linux/m68k Amiga Bootstrap version 5.6
Copyright 1993,1994 by Hamish MacDonald and Greg Harp

Amiga 1200 CPU: 68040 with internal FPU, AGA chipset

Command line is 'root=/dev/hdb1 ro'
Vertical Blank Frequency: 50Hz
Power Supply frequency: 50Hz
EClock Frequency: 709379Hz

Found 1 Autoconfig Device
Device 0: addr = 0x00ea0000

Found 1 Block of Memory
Block 0: 0x78000000 to 0x80000000 (131072K)
2048K of CHIP memory

The kernel will be located at 0x78000000
Unable to open kernel file 'linux.bin'

****

Some documentation states that the amiga "needs ixemul.library which is included on the installation disk" except it isn't on the installation disk, and I can't find anywhere to download it from - the only reference I can find to it is this statement saying it is included on the installation disk: INFURIATING!.
Please help - do I have the kernel name wrong?  I've also tried amigalinux; linuxamiga; linux; vmlinux; and several others I can't remember at the moment.  I'm at an impasse - I even tried leaving it several months and coming back to it - same story, no change, no new insights.  Everything I've been able to find suggests I'm doing everything right.