Re: kernel panics with debian kernels >2.2.25 on A4000T/060

On Wed, 2005-10-26 at 13:54 +0200, Ingo Juergensmann wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 26, 2005 at 01:45:53PM +0200, Kars de Jong wrote:
>
> > > I tried several prepackaged kernels from Debian, but all panic. I've put
> > > some dmesg outputs on the net:
> > Good, someone with a system other than MVME16x using an NCR53C710 :-)
>
> Yes, it's the SCSI chip on A4091 SCSI card and A4000T onboard SCSI, but I
> guess you already knew that. Perhaps there're not that much A4000T out there
> running Debian or newer kernels. I assumed that an A4000T with an MKII is a
> quite common hardware... ;)
>
> > >From your dmesg:
> > scsi-ncr53c7xx : NCR53c710 at memory 0xd0190040, io 0x0, irq 12
> > This is the old ncr53c7xx driver, I believe it is broken on prepackaged
> > Debian kernels because of a bogus virt_to_bus() call and/or the kernel
> > being compiled with CONFIG_SINGLE_MEMORY_CHUNK=N. On early 2.4 kernels
> > it did still work for me, but hasn't worked since 2.4.x (I don't
> > remember x).
>
> Well, it wouldn't make sense to download and test every kernel down to
> 2.4.0, I guess.... I would prefer to use a 2.6.x though... ;)
>
> > I will try to rewrite the amiga7xx driver this evening to use the new
> > 53c700 driver core. Should be pretty simple since it already works on
> > MVE16x.
> > It would be nice if you can test it, if it works I think we can safely
> > get rid of the old ncr53c7xx driver.
>
> No problem with testing. The only problem is that I'm just here (at parents
> home) until Monday/Tuesday and intended to keep the machine there. So, when
> we can solve that problem until then, that would be great! :)
>
> BTW: in what state is amililo? That's something I could test as well in the
> meantime... ;)

If anyone would like me to test. I did the original work on the older
scsi driver for the A4000T and WarpEngine 4040 card that uses the same
chip.

I've still got my Amiga and can bring up the latest Debian and kernels.
Just ping me with what I need to get.

Alan.