Re: m68k in danger of being ignored for testing propagation

On Sat, Sep 17, 2005 at 07:54:33PM +0200, Andreas Barth wrote:
> Hi,
>
> in recent weeks from the global point of view m68k has started to hold
> up the testing migration due to both lacking buildd power and internal
> compiler errors.  As of the most recent britney run, the number of
> missing builds holding up the testing migration are (sorted by numbers):
> 460 m68k
> 227 arm
> 174 mips
> 148 hppa
> 132 s390
> 114 sparc
> (and all others are 100 or less). I know that there is serious work being
> put into m68k right now, but - we still have to move on, and m68k currently
> cannot be described as catching up.  So, unless there is a serious
> improvement on m68k happening right now, we plan to ignore m68k for testing
> migration beginning in one week; we already have started to ignore m68k by
> hand if that was required to allow an RC-bugfix to go in.  This change
> doesn't mean we are dropping consideration of m68k as a release
> architecture for etch, but of course it is a step in that direction.

Well, the real problem here is gcc-4.0 especially at -O3. On m68k it ICE
instead of spewing wrong code like on i386. We are very good at spotting
ICE but poor at spotting wrong code generation which is an at least as
serious a problem.

I don't see why fast tracking theses wrong i386 binaries will do any
good to etch. We don't want to release with them, do we ?

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.