Re: Installing linux-image-2.6.12-1-mac on 2.2.25

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005, Meelis Roos wrote:

> I am running 2.2.25 and want to try out 2.6.12 on my mac (Quadra 840AV - any
> hope on the ADB and RTC issues?).

Your RTC won't work, but those oopses are non-fatal. You can avoid the
oops by not using hwclock, and you can set the time with NTP instead. This
is a known bug, discussed on linux-m68k a few times in the past.

CUDA ADB works most of the time. I always log in over ethernet.

So, I strongly recommend getting NTP and telnet/rlogin/ssh working first.

> Creation of initrd seesm to fail:
>
> Setting up linux-image-2.6.12-1-mac (2.6.12-5) ...
> /usr/sbin/mkinitrd: add_modules_dep_2_5: modprobe failed

Don't know. If you are running Woody you'll need to upgrade modutils to
module-init-tools, but it has been a year or so since I did so. YMMV.

> Since I can't test it at the moment, is there anything to be afraid of?
> config contains CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD=y so it's probably harmless?

Last time I tried my AV Quadra (post-2.6.12 m68k CVS), I had to initialise
the ethernet in MacOS or it wouldn't work in Linux. Also expect transmit
timeouts. Apart from that, no problem ;-)

-f