Re: Unable to boot Woody on Amiga

On Tue, 31 May 2005, R.P.Donoghue wrote:
> amiboot-5.6 -k linux.bin root=/dev/hdb1 ro
>
> save (I called it 'startdeb') and set executable flag.  Move amiboot-5.6 into command path (I put it into my c: directory).
>
> When I run the file 'startdeb' I get the following output:
>
> ****
>
> Linux/m68k Amiga Bootstrap version 5.6
> Copyright 1993,1994 by Hamish MacDonald and Greg Harp
>
> Amiga 1200 CPU: 68040 with internal FPU, AGA chipset
>
> Command line is 'root=/dev/hdb1 ro'
> Vertical Blank Frequency: 50Hz
> Power Supply frequency: 50Hz
> EClock Frequency: 709379Hz
>
> Found 1 Autoconfig Device
> Device 0: addr = 0x00ea0000
>
> Found 1 Block of Memory
> Block 0: 0x78000000 to 0x80000000 (131072K)
> 2048K of CHIP memory
>
> The kernel will be located at 0x78000000
> Unable to open kernel file 'linux.bin'

Do you have a kernel image file called `linux.bin' in the current directory?

> Some documentation states that the amiga "needs ixemul.library which is included on the installation disk" except it isn't on the installation disk, and I can't find anywhere to download it from - the only reference I can find to it is this statement saying it is included on the installation disk: INFURIATING!.

Ugh, the dependency on ixemul.library was removed ages ago (even relative to
the release date of Amiboot 5.6 :-).

> Please help - do I have the kernel name wrong?  I've also tried amigalinux; linuxamiga; linux; vmlinux; and several others I can't remember at the moment.  I'm at an impasse - I even tried leaving it several months and coming back to it - same story, no change, no new insights.  Everything I've been able to find suggests I'm doing everything right.

Copy the Linux kernel image file to `linux.bin' on the AmigaOS side, and
Amiboot will find it.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

							    -- Linus Torvalds