Re: Installing on a PB190

On Sun, 2004-10-24 at 15:58, Damiano Giorgi wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm trying to install Debian on a PowerBook 190, but I got stuck as follows:
>
> - booting with kernel 2.2.25-20030905, the root.bin ramdisk gets mounted OK
> and the installer program starts, but the keyboard doesn't work;
>
> - booting with kernel 2.4.1-20010311 and the same ramdisk, I get to the
> message that reads
>         VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem)
> and then everything stops, but the keyboard works. (I've tried all the
> root.bin images I could find in <debian>/stable, but they all stop at the
> same point.)
>
> - booting with kernel 2.4.1 and the root.bin.serial.gz ramdisk gets me to
> an installer, but the latter claims that no hard drive is present on the
> system at all (maybe it cannot find the internal IDE disk, but the kernel
> seems to support the IDE bus -- at startup it says "Macintosh PowerBook
> Baboon IDE interface").
>
> Any suggestions? What am I missing? And last, but not least: my PB has a
> Dayna Communicard PCMCIA ethernet adapter, is there any hope that it be
> supported under linux/m68k?

There is now a PCMCIA driver for the PowerBook 5300 which works very
well.  Since the PowerBook 190 appears to be identical to a 5300 with
the exception of the processor (190 has 68LC040 and 5300 has 603e) it
might be possible to port the driver.  Anyone want to trade a 190 for a
5300cs so I can experiment?

Ray Knight