Re: Testing 2.4.x or 2.6.x kernels on Amiga

On Thu, Aug 26, 2004 at 09:04:23PM -0500, Peter Krummrich wrote:
> Hi,
>
> seeing all your discussing new kernels, I was wondering about the easiest
> way to switch between kernels. I am still using 2.2.20 from Woody, but
> would be interested in testing 2.4.x or even 2.6.x kernels on my Amiga. How
> can I get (load .deb archive?), unpack (use dselect or dpkg?) and install a
> new kernel with the option to easily switch back to my old kernel in case
> the new one does not work?

apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.27-amiga kernel-image-2.6.8-amiga

This will put modules, config and system map in the right place. Unless you
are using lilo (amiga-lilo is not included in Debian AFAIK, it does not work
for me, if somebody else wants to package it, go ahead), you do not want to
install a new lilo.config, nor create a boot floppy. You have to copy the
kernel (/boot/vmlinuz-<version>-amiga) to you Amiga partition, ie
/Amiga/Debian/kernel. Then on reboot just use the new kernel-image instead
of the one that shipped with woody. For this I created several boot scripts
similar to the one that shipped with woody, each loading a different kernel.
Also I mapped these boot scripts on function keys in zsh (great shell
written by Martin Gierich) so I can blindly boot 2.2.25 by pressing
Amiga-ESC followed by F1, 2.4.25 with F2, 2.4.26 with F3, 2.4.27 with F4,
2.6.8 with F5, ... my Amiga video card and scan doubler are still mostly
broken and it seems nobody want to donate one, but even then I only have two
monitors for 6 computers, one PS2 and a VCR, so not needing a monitor is a
plus.

> I am mostly interested in a new frame buffer device driver. The clgenfb that
> comes with Woody (1.4?) seems to have some serious problems.

Serious problems? It might still have debugging on, but other than that, I
haven't heard of problems? Anyway, you can always grab the source
(kernel-source-<version>), the m68k patch (kernel-patch-<version>-m68k), and
maye kernel-package and roll your own. If you want to know how, just
download the source for a kernel-image-<ver>-amiga and "debuild" the package
after editing your config.

Christian