Re: drive space and mapping

On Thu, Aug 19, 2004 at 10:04:28PM -0600, Tony Pitman wrote:
> I have 2 drives in my Q610. I keep running out of space on the root drive.
> I have more room on the /usr drive that I set up.
>
> Is there a way to have configure debian so that it will put temporary stuff
> on the /usr drive when installing packages? Currently there are some really
> large files that get created like /var/lib/dpkg/available and available-old
> and then in the archives folder. Can I tell debian to put those on the /usr
> drive instead? I tried to make a link, but it won't let me do a link across
> drives.

That's because you used a hardlink, not a symlink. Try using the "-s"
option of ln.

The technical difference is as follows:
A hardlink is a second reference in the file system hierarchy to the
same blocks on the disk. To the kernel, both files are the "original"
file. Since you can't have a file on one disk, and its name on a
different, you can't link across drives.

A symlink (short for "symbolic link"), on the other hand, is a bit in
the file name structures which points to a different file name. It's a
bit comparable to Windows' shortcut system, but then correctly
implemented.

--
         EARTH
     smog  |   bricks