Re: light weight desktop for browsing

Ron,

I have 36mb of RAM. It is the hard drive space that is the main concern.

Can you tell me what are the minimum options I can choose during the debian install of packages to get a desktop and the Dillo browser and fit it all on the drives I have?

Tony

On Mon, 2004-08-16 at 13:21 -0600, Tony Pitman wrote:
> Does anyone know of a light weight desktop that I can install on my old
> Quadra700? I have a 100mb drive and a 230mb drive.
>
> I know that the gnome desktop takes a lot of room.
>
> All I want to do is browse the Internet with this computer. Nothing more.

Dillo is the standard light-weight GUI browser.  It's GTK1.2-based,
so you may want to try xfce (not xfce4, which is GTK2-based).

Like dillo, xfce is based on GTK 1.2, so is pretty light-weight.

BTW, how much RAM do you have?

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA
PGP Key ID 8834C06B

296,443 sq mi (767,787 sq km) are needed for 6 billion people to
live at the same population density as Manhattan, New York.
That is ~ Arizona or Nevada.
Alternatively, that ~ double the size of Japan or Zimbabwe