grep and libpcre3

On m68k, /bin/grep needs /usr/lib/libpcre.so.3, which may not be available
early in the boot process, causing many error messages during boot up (/usr is
a separate partition on my box):

| cassandra:~# type -all grep
| grep is /bin/grep
| cassandra:~# ldd /bin/grep
|         libpcre.so.3 => /usr/lib/libpcre.so.3 (0xc0018000)
|         libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0xc0026000)
|         /lib/ld.so.1 => /lib/ld.so.1 (0xc0000000)
| cassandra:~# dpkg -s grep
| Package: grep
| Essential: yes
|  'grep' is a utility to search for text in files; it can be used from the
|  command line or in scripts.  Even if you don't want to use it, other packages
|  on your system probably will.
|  .
|  The GNU family of grep utilities may be the "fastest grep in the west".
|  GNU grep is based on a fast lazy-state deterministic matcher (about
|  twice as fast as stock Unix egrep) hybridized with a Boyer-Moore-Gosper
|  search for a fixed string that eliminates impossible text from being
|  considered by the full regexp matcher without necessarily having to
|  look at every character. The result is typically many times faster
|  than Unix grep or egrep. (Regular expressions containing backreferencing
|  will run more slowly, however.)

However, on PPC I have the exact same package version, and grep doesn't depend
on libpcre3 there:

| geert@callisto:~$ ldd /bin/grep
|         libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x0fea2000)
|         /lib/ld.so.1 => /lib/ld.so.1 (0x30000000)
| geert@callisto:~$ dpkg -s grep
| Package: grep
| Essential: yes
|  'grep' is a utility to search for text in files; it can be used from the
|  command line or in scripts.  Even if you don't want to use it, other packages
|  on your system probably will.
|  .
|  The GNU family of grep utilities may be the "fastest grep in the west".
|  GNU grep is based on a fast lazy-state deterministic matcher (about
|  twice as fast as stock Unix egrep) hybridized with a Boyer-Moore-Gosper
|  search for a fixed string that eliminates impossible text from being
|  considered by the full regexp matcher without necessarily having to
|  look at every character. The result is typically many times faster
|  than Unix grep or egrep. (Regular expressions containing backreferencing
|  will run more slowly, however.)

Is there any (good) reason for this? Shall I just file a bug on the m68k
package (programs in /bin must not rely on libraries outside /lib)?

Apart from that, everything seems to be fine. My poor Amiga has been working
hard to upgrade to testing during the last 2 weeks (it takes some manual
playing with apt-get install if you don't want to let dist-upgrade remove some
important packages), and it's almost there ;-) And all done while running
2.6.5-rc2, so I think 2.6 is getting stable.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

							    -- Linus Torvalds