Re: Installing Debian on an SE/30

On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 01:20:08AM -0500, Jesse R. Lucke wrote:
> Hee hee. Yes, that's true--and this SE/30 really does have 7.6.1
> installed. The secret ingredient? Insert 1  IIfx (or IIsi) ROM. Add a
> pinch of Wish I Were. Presto, chango! A 32-bit clean SE/30! It'll even
> support 8.1, or so I'm told... (hopefully this hasn't been fouling
> Linux... :-)

This would almost certainly choke up Linux if you are changing the
gestalt ID of the machine. Linux currently trusts the ID passed
in by Penguin in order to check for installed hardware.

In particular, the VIA style is drastically different on the IIfx
and IIsi compared to an SE/30, and that is determined entired based
on the ID passed in by Penguin. Just that one little detail would
totally destroy interrupt handling and ADB, particularly if it thinks
it is really a IIfx.

What does Linux think the machine is? I'm pretty sure it prints
that out early in the boot process, and it's definitely in a
file in /proc somewhere.

The IIfx doesn't support 8.x, so I don't know how this horrible
hack would support 8.1. Apple dropped 68020/68030 support in 8.0.

	Brad Boyer
	flar@allandria.com