Re: Installing Debian on an SE/30

On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 01:20:50PM -0500, Jesse R. Lucke wrote:

> The partitions are there; they're shown when I ask Penguin for SCSI device
> info. My Mac utilities can see them too. Any ideas as to why it's not
> formatting them and what I can do about it? Is there a utility I can use
> to format them from the Mac OS?

The partitions must be exactly the right type (which I think is
Apple_UNIX_SVR2), and any typo in there could give the kind or
problems you have.

The installer might balk if none of your Apple_UNIX_SVR2 partitions
looks big enough, but that does not sound like your situation.  Also,
if you have made too many partitions (which probably means more than
16), strange things could happen.

To make e2fs filesystems from MacOS, pdisk should work.  There also is
(was?) a MacOS port of e2fsprogs, which might or might not be useful.

--
John