Debian on an SE/30

Hello folks,

I've been trying to install Debian on my IIFX ROM-ed SE/30 in order to
turn it into a gateway for my dialup connection. Yeah, I'm crazy--life's
more fun that way.  :-)

Penguin 19 boots fine (once you pass it the nolangchooser option) but the
installer doesn't want to format the swap partition. After I setup the
partitions I want to use, the installer tries to format the swap
partition. Once it gets to that, I can choose any option I like (such as
doing without swap) and the installer will restart the formatting process.
The loop ends when I hit the reset button.

It's creating the partitions; they're there when I ask Penguin for SCSI
device info. Any ideas as to why it's not formatting them and what I can
do about it?

Thanks,
Jesse

System Specs:
-Mac OS 7.6.1
-500MB Apple-ROM HD
-32 MB RAM
-Asante MacCon NIC

(I've cross-posted this to the linux-mac68k list; apologies for any
duplication that may occur.)