Re: Compiling kernel 2.4.20 on m68k (success) + X startup problem

> No X starts fine from the startx command.  Using startx doesn't invoke
> xdm.  The problem is with xdm.  Try using gdm or kdm and see if they
> experience the same problem.
>
> --
> Ray Knight <audilvr@speakeasy.org>

I tested the gdm and kdm as suggested, and here are my resulsts.

#apt-get install gdm
reboot

The system comes up with the Gnome login window.  I enter in my username
and password.  The X workspace display comes up, and a few moments later
the Gnome login window returns.  I'm not able to open an Xterm or shell.

-----

#apt-get install kdm
reboot

The system comes up with the Kde login window.  I enter in my username
and password and I can hold down the mouse button and bring up the Main
Menu.  Success!  I'm able to open Xterm and type this message.

-----

I have yet to enable kdm for network suport so that I can use it with my
X terminal and test out that functionality.

Thanks for the suggestions!

--Lance