Re: NeXT

On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 12:47:03PM -0500, emorfin@caracol.red.cinvestav.mx wrote:
> Hi!
>
> My question is:
>
> Can debian be installed on a black NeXTstation?
> (Actually using NeXTStep.)
>
> the procesor is a motorola 68040, 2G HD.
>
> if it can be done, what are de system requiements?

Linux/m68k runs on those systems, yes, but Debian doesn't provide an
installer, since no Debian developer has the hardware.

However, that shouldn't mean you cannot possibly install Debian on it;
you should be able to install Linux/m68k on your NeXT, install
debootstrap, create a Debian base system, and boot that; once that's
done, you have a running Debian system on your NeXT.

If you're interested, you and I could work together to write an
installer which would support installing the next release of Debian,
Sarge, on the NeXT[1]; to do so, I'd need to know how to boot a NeXT,
I'd need a working kernel configuration and kernel source, and you'd
have to test the installer quite a few times :-)

[1] Am I the only one who finds that sentence confusing?

--
Wouter Verhelst
"Stop breathing down my neck." "My breathing is merely a simulation."