Re: Installing an Amiga 3000T

On Sun, 2003-09-07 20:16:46 +0200, Kars de Jong <jongk@linux-m68k.org>
wrote in message <[🔎] 1062958606.3290.9.camel@kars.perseus.home>:
> On Sun, 2003-09-07 at 19:32, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
> > On Sun, 2003-09-07 13:14:53 -0400, Christian T. Steigies <cts@debian.org>
> > wrote in message <[🔎] 20030907171453.GA30721@gleep.home>:
> > > On Sun, Sep 07, 2003 at 01:25:22PM +0200, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
> > > Shouldn't happen, the woody kernel works fine for me.
> >
> > 8^D Maybe there's some bug in the swapping code. I had something like
> > that on MIPSel, too. Some shift value wasn't correct, but I fear I'm not
> > yet deep enough into m68k/linux to investigate this...
>
> Again, very unlikely. You may or may not know that m68k was one of the
> first ports of Linux (back in 1.x or even 0.99 days).

I do know that.

> > > 12 Chip sounds a little much, 12 Fast sounds a little little, do you have a
> > > swap partition?

> FYI, I run Linux/m68k on a VME crate at work which only has 8 MB of
> memory. Works fine, if not a bit slow ;-)

With swap?

> And I have installed Woody on it. It's painful, it's slow, but it does
> work.
> I also run apt-get update regularly...

So at least the regular userspace seems to be as stable as expected.

> I'm affraid that a hardware problem is a FAR more likely cause of your
> problems. Linux is/was notorious for being much more 'critical' on
> problematic hardware.

*itchinghead* Well, AmigaOS is running fine on the box... Maybe I'd give
it a hard kick to rattle off the rust:) I'll see if I can get more RAM,
but the box is really doing harm to me. I know that the person who owned
it (before it came to me) ran Linux on that machine, up to the last
minute. I was there when the box was switched off and the HDD was
screwed out of it. So at least, it *was* good at some time...

If I get a (minimal) kernel I'll try to do the installation by hand
(first off creating a NFS-root and so on). I'm not really new to that,
I've done it several times (not for m68k, though...).

At some time, the box will work for me, it has to:)

MfG, JBG

      ret = do_actions((curr | FREE_SPEECH) & ~(IRAQ_WAR_2 | DRM | TCPA));