Cannot install base system on Quadra 700

I'm trying to install Debian 2.2 on a Mac Quadra 700 using the
instructions found on linux-m68k.org. Each time I get to the Install Base
System step (using base2_2.tgz on the Mac partition), it shows a "please
wait" message for a few minutes, the display goes mostly blank for about
a minute, a message flashes on the screen, and is immediately covered by
the installer window, still at the Install Base System step. Attempts to
force it forward to the Configure Base System step result in a message
that the base system is not installed, and inspecting with the shell
shows the root disk has directories but key files are not there.

I've re-downloaded base2.2.tgz in case it had been bad; no dice. I
replaced Penguin 18.1 which came in the macinstall.tgz package with
Penguin 19 which I already had from the test boot process. The Quadra 700
has 68M RAM, 1280M hard drive, onboard ethernet and video. Partitions are
136M swqp, 1000M root, and 108M HFS. I'm not using a CD-ROM and have
found I need to restart the Quadra if I have used its Ethernet in Mac OS
(7.1 update 3) before booting with Penguin.

Also, several attempts to subscribe to
linux-mac68k-request@mac.linux-m68k.org have failed "Invalid user
specified." -- is that list dead?

Bryan Kattwinkel <mailto:kattwinkel@lemlists.com>