Exporting my CD-ROM to another machine?

Hello,

     I just got my Debian installation finished on my Mac Quadra 660 AV,
thanks to much networking help from this list.

    Now I am trying to use the CD-ROM from my Mac with another machine on
the network. I.e. I'd like to export the directory on my Mac that I have my
CD-ROM mounted to so that the other machine - it's running Mach 2.1 - can
mount it. I believe that the mounting procedure on the Next box is the same
as for any Unix NFS client, but I don't think I've got my Mac setup yet to
do NFS, at least I cannot see any NFS daemon running.

    Anyway, I use exportfs to export the /cdrom directory (where I have
/dev/sr0 mounted to) and it'll show up in the /var/<whatever> subdirectory
that shows
the kernel what's currently exportable, but it never updates /etc/exports.
I cannot get the mount command on the Next box to work, but I'm fairly
certain that it's because the Mac is not really exporting it.

   Both machines know about each other and can ping each other by hostname.
And I am naming the host to export to in the exportfs command on the Mac.

   Shouldn't there be an NFS daemon running? If so where from / when does
it get launched? It's not in inet.conf, should it be?

Thanks,

George Bingham