Re: Disk Eject Problem

On Sun, Jan 05, 2003 at 03:23:16AM -0200, Daniel Bolgheroni wrote:
> I have original disks of System 7.0.1, but when I insert "Disk Tools" or
> "Install 1" disk, the face ":-)" appears, but the disk ejects a few
> seconds later.  This problem happens in all the 3 mac68k (2 LC II and 1
> SE/30). When I insert the "Install 2" or another disk with no boot, the
> face ":-)" don't appear, and it ejects a few seconds later too. In the
> last case, I think it's normal, but in the first case, I don't know what's
> the problem.

Any Mac will eject a non-bootable floppy on startup. However, if it
thinks the floppy is bootable, it will try to read the system from
it, and that's when it puts up the smiley Mac icon. If it encounters
an error loading from the floppy, it's supposed to try booting from
another device, which usually means it will eject your disk first.
I would guess that your floppies have a few bad sectors, probably
from lying around too long. Try putting them on new media.

Here's the official Apple download site for 7.0.1:

ftp://ftp.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/English-North_American/Macintosh/System/Older_System/System_7.0.x/

(If you want something other than the English version, cut off everything
in the URL starting with "English-North_American" and you'll get a
directory with all the supported locales.)

	Brad Boyer
	flar@allandria.com