Re: X-server

On Tue, Oct 07, 2003 at 12:26:27PM +0000, Lance Tagliapietra wrote:
> Hi Wouter,
>
> > > http://www.luminet.net/~lancetag/XF86Config-4
> >
> > Could you also distribute the version that does not work?
>
> See http://www.luminet.net/~lancetag/XF86Config-4_4.1.0
>
> right off, the mouse definition is not correct.

Ah, I get it.

When you installed your system, you should've received those debconf
prompts I was talking about. They mention the markers at the top and the
bottom of the X configuration file:

### BEGIN DEBCONF SECTION

and

### END DEBCONF SECTION

Also, the X configuration file itself contains in comments at the top:

# If you want your changes to this file preserved by dexconf, only make
# changes before the "### BEGIN DEBCONF SECTION" line above, and/or
# after the "### END DEBCONF SECTION" line below.

Otherwise put: you're not supposed to manually modify the X
configuration file yourself. If you do, either remove those markers (in
that case, upgrading X will never modify XF86Config-4) or restrict
yourself to making modifications outside those markers.

If you don't remove those markers, or if you make modifications in
between both of them, your changes will not be retained after an
upgrade.

If I check your original, working, XF86Config-4, I see a lot of
commented-out and replaced defaults, which makes me suspect that you
manually fine-tuned it. Since that file still contains the
aforementioned markers, it will be overwritten on upgrade -- which is
what happened to you.

> > At the time you installed the new X server, did you see any debconf
> > questions about overwriting the configuration file?
>
> There were no prompts, and I was not watching too close for any
> messages to scroll by.  Does apt-get log automatically somewhere?

The messages I'm referring to should require you to press <enter>, at
least, so this should not be necessary.

--
Wouter Verhelst
"Stop breathing down my neck." "My breathing is merely a simulation."