chroot woes

Hi,

I have two Macs here which both exhibit the curious symptom that non-root
users within a chroot can't run perl scripts with '-e SCRIPT' from the
command line.

bar:~# uname -a
Linux bar 2.2.20 #1 Mon Nov 26 09:26:36 GMT 2001 m68k unknown
bar:~# perl -e 'print "Working.\n"'
Working.
bar:~# su - build
build@bar:~$ perl -e 'print "Working.\n"'
Working.
build@bar:~$ logout
bar:~# chroot /usr/local/chroot/unsta
bar:/# perl -e 'print "Working.\n"'
Working.
bar:/# su - build
No directory, logging in with HOME=/
build@bar:/$ perl -e 'print "Working.\n"'
Can't open perl script "-e": No such file or directory
build@bar:/$

I'm stumped. Any ideas why that should happen..? The chroot has a mounted
/proc file system, its /dev looks sane, /tmp is mode 1777. I can't think of
anything else to check. My favorite debugging tool, strace, traces exactly
one system call (the 'execve') on this kernel and then ends itself.

Ideas? Newer kernels where strace works would be greatly appreciated... I'd
build one myself, but I have a chicken-and-egg problem here.  :-/

--
Matthias Urlichs  |  {M:U} IT Design @ m-u-it.de  |   smurf@smurf.noris.de
Disclaimer: Das Zitat wurde zufällig ausgewählt.  |   http://smurf.noris.de