Re: kernel modules Unresolved

On Fri, Jun 13, 2003 at 08:16:11PM -0400, Theodore Knab wrote:
> I hope this is the right list.

No, it isn't. Try debian-powerpc instead. The debian-68k list is
for computers based on Motorola's 68k processor family. Apple
hasn't made a 68k based computer in about 10 years. I've cc:'ed
debian-powerpc on this. Remember to take debian-68k out of the
list on any further discussion.

> Yesterday, I got a new PowerBook G4 with OSX.
>
> Today, my new MAC PowerBook G4 is running both Debian Stable and Mac OS X.
>
> However, XFree86 is not working.
>
> When I run 'XFree86 -configure' as I do on my Intel machines, I get a
> bunch [569 lines] of nasty unresolved errors like this:
>
> Symbol vgaHWGetIndex from modules
> /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/vga_drv.o is unresolved!
>
> I was thinking that this might be related to the kernel, so I recompiled

Nope. These days XFree86 has it's own modules that have nothing
to do with kernel modules. The modules for X are in /usr/X11R6/lib/modules,
while kernel modules will be in /lib/modules.

This specific error isn't fatal, since you shouldn't be using the VGA
hardware driver on a Mac. It's intended for PC style video cards.
You don't need all the modules to work to have the main server to
run fine. I'm not sure if 'XFree86 -configure' is supported on ppc.
Someone else will have to answer that one.

> the kernel. On the final 'make modules_install' step, I got this error:
>
> Make Error:
>
> Here is my error [note this was hand typed so could be a little goofy] :
>
> depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
> /lib/modules/2.4.18/pcmcia/fdomains_cs.o
>
> depmod: isa_readb
> depmod: isa_memcpy_fromio
>
> make: *** [_modinst_post] Error 1

Unless you use an fdomain PCMCIA card, you don't need this driver
and can disable it in the configuration. I'm not sure if this is
really a fatal error. It wasn't in older kernels, but things have
changed recently...

> Question:
> --------------
> Any idea what I module I am missing for my kernel ? I can not find it in the kernel.

Missing? Probably nothing. I'd guess that this driver isn't properly
supported on ppc, but is still in the config list because it used to
compile properly. Based on the symbol names, it's expecting to treat
the card like an ISA card, but there isn't a real ISA implementation
on a Macintosh.

If you don't need it, take it out of the configuration.

> #
> # PCMCIA SCSI adapter support
> #
> CONFIG_SCSI_PCMCIA=y