Re: linux-2.4.20 CVS kernel-image for atari

On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 06:11:20PM +0100, Michael Schmitz wrote:

> Forgot the hades there... The hades PCI range should be found in the older
> kernels:
>
>     /*
>      * On the Hades map the PCI memory, I/O and configuration areas
>      * (0x80000000 - 0xbfffffff).
>      *
>      * Settings: supervisor only, non-cacheable, serialized, read and write.
>      */
>
>     if (MACH_IS_HADES) {
>         __asm__ __volatile__ ("movel %0,%/d0\n\t"
>                               ".chip 68040\n\t"
>                         	"movec %%d0,%%itt0\n\t"
>                           	"movec %%d0,%%dtt0\n\t"
>                               ".chip 68k\n\t"
>                               : /* no outputs */
>                         	: "g" (0x803fa040)
>                               : "d0");
>     }
>
> There you are. IO is in the same space as memory physically; the PPC code
> might be a good starting point to see how memory vs. IO access is handled
> there. 0x1000 physical is going to hurt a lot :-)

Can somebody fix that in CVS?

> Drop me a kernel image, or a short note where to get your source. Plus I'd

I announced the amiga image here, on my debian-m68k pages. Its built
straight from CVS, with the two patches I sent here. When I get to it, I'll
make a real kernel-patch package. Atari image did not build yet.

> Keep 2.2 kernels around for boot-floppies. What are 2.4 features used for
> on boot-floppies, exactly?

We need devfs, not in the boot-floppies though, but in d-i. But building a
test set of the boot-floppies with 2.4 might be a first step, maybe just so
that some people actually test 2.4 before we roll it out.

> Since I'm only keeping the Atari for hysteric reasons, and not for any

hysteric reasons? Or historic? Ok, nobody touch your Atari!

> real work we could reasonably drop Atari in the long term. Macs still make
> up part of the buildd pool so be careful what you wish for :-)

Yeah, I know. I powered mine up only once yet, the sound is working, why is
there no linux support for it? I guess its hard to install linux, without
video output. Hmm, maybe I could hook it up to the TV, after all its an AV.

> Someone (tm) needs to get into fs hacking and port hfs, affs and some
> other legacy filesystems over to 2.4 ... or come up with a user space tool
> for this, see hfsplusutils :-)

Ok someone, step forward!

Christian