Re: problems on Quadra 700

on 2/18/03 6:09 PM, Bryan Kattwinkel wrote:

>I haven't tried X, as I want to set up my Q700 as a headless server. But
>I am stuck trying to get on-board ethernet working properly. Does
>ethernet work fine for you? I get freezes, buffer overflows, once a
>kernel panic, all ethernet related.
>
>I'm using Woody 3.0r1 CD version. The next 2 things I'm going to try are
>the newer kernel/modules I found on sourceforge, or a nubus ethernet card.

The solution to the ethernet problem turned out to be the 2.2.23 kernel
and modules, found at sourceforge/linux-mac68k. The notes said it solved
problems with onboard sonic ethernet on a Quadra 950, and the Quadra 700
must be similar.

Mike Renfro wrote:

>I think you should be able to create a no-extensions setup with
>Extension Manager that loads no extensions, but still loads startup
>items like Penguin.

Yes, that works. I am using System 7.1 on the Mac side, with no TCP/IP or
MacTCP, but it still seems necessary to boot with the Network and Enet
extensions disabled.

Greger Olson wrote:

>BTW doesn't a 700 turn on and off by the keyboard power button?
>You can't (safely) plug and unplug ADB devices on a running Mac.

There is also a pushbutton in the back of these machines that can be
pressed to power on. You can screw the button in so it always boots when
power is applied, but that causes the Mac to reboot when you try to shut
down.

Chris Tillman wrote:

>When using scren sharing programs in MacOS, with machines that might
>boot without a screen attached, we had to use a video plug to make it
>think there was a monitor there. Otherwise it would turn the video
>card off, and it could not be activated until the next boot.

Yes, I have been using a video plug so I could connect a monitor and see
what went wrong when it didn't boot.

>I think the serial console idea would work fine, ...
>You have to boot with the correct arguments, and modify the
>init.d, IIRC.

The boot parameter (in Penguin) turns out to be "console=ttyS0,38400" for
the modem port. The other file to modify is /etc/inittab, if you want to
login on that serial line. Since it takes several minutes to boot up, it
is comforting to watch the console messages.

Question: Why can't root login on a serial port or a telnet for that
matter? I have to login as a regular user then su. Is this a security
feature I can disable since the box is isolated from the internet?