Re: Debian Newbie

On Sun, Feb 09, 2003 at 03:34:11PM +0200, Peter Slegg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Ï am a complete GNÛ/Linux newbie and Ï have just got a copý of Debian
> Woodý on CD version 3.0.23-2002-05-21
>
> Ï am hoping to install Debian on mý Milan060, an Âtari clone. Ï am running
> the installation from GËM in 256 colours.
>
> When Ï run bootstra.prg it quicklý does some RÂM checks and unpacks Linux.bin
> then displaýs the bootstrap and kernel version info followed bý
> "Booting Linux..."
>
> Ât that point the mouse and keýboard lock-up. Ï waited about 5 minutes
> but nothing else happened. Ïs it trýing to start the Linux kernel at this
> point ?  Ï have tried changing some of the bootargs:
>
> -s -k linux.bin -r root.bin root=/dev/ram video=keep load_ramdisk=1 nolangchooser
> -s -k linux.bin -r root.bin root=/dev/ram video=external load_ramdisk=1 nolangchooser verbose
>
> but Ï don't know what to do next. Ï have had a look at some of the mail archives
> and can't find aný mention of similar crash problems.
>
> Ï did manage to get an error message at one point but Ï haven't been able
> to repeat it. Ï don't know if this is useful.
>
> Ëxception #3  PC=00Ë1CD74 TËXT+336CF6DB ÛSR=010B24ÂÂ SR=2700
>
> Does anýone have aný suggestions ?

How did you type these funny I, E, A and Y's or is that inserted by your
provider as a spamtrap protection?

Anyhow, still no atari at this end, but I think the Atari kernels where
never built with 060 support. Looking at the kernel-config for 2.2.20:

# Platform dependent setup
#
# CONFIG_AMIGA is not set
CONFIG_ATARI=y
CONFIG_HADES=y
CONFIG_PCI=y
# CONFIG_MAC is not set
# CONFIG_APOLLO is not set
# CONFIG_VME is not set
# CONFIG_HP300 is not set
# CONFIG_SUN3X is not set
# CONFIG_SUN3 is not set
# CONFIG_PCI_OLD_PROC is not set
# CONFIG_Q40 is not set
CONFIG_M68020=y
CONFIG_M68030=y
CONFIG_M68040=y
# CONFIG_M68060 is not set

I don't know if it hurts, if 060 support is not selected, maybe there is no
support for Milan yet in the kernel? Hades (some atari clone?) has a
selectable option, maybe Milan needs one as well?
Might be worth trying to build an atari kernel with explicit 060 support
just to test this. Any atari experts here that could tell me if this is a
waste of time because milan is not supported by the kernel yet?

Christian
--
http://people.debian.org/~cts/debian-m68k/woody