Re: Question on starting nfsd on a new installation...

Lincoln,

    I do have /etc/exports setup.    It reads something like

/usr/Next   *(ro,<can't remember the other options>)

    So, I'm exporting /usr/Next to anyone with the Read Only option. The
exportfs -a command doesn't complain. But it's when after I've created the
/etc/exports file and reboot that it hangs the machine when it gets to the

     Oh, and dnsdomainname is blank. I just wasn't sure if it should remain
blank, but it should in my environment since I don't have a domain
registered. Maybe I get that and domain (like set to WorkGroup) mixed up.

Thanks everyone,

George

                      Lincoln Rutledge
                      <lrutledge@fairfield        To:       George Bingham/Lenexa/IBM@IBMUS
                      .lib.oh.us>                 cc:       Debian Mac68k mail group <debian-68k@lists.debian.org>
                                                  Subject:  Re: Question on starting nfsd on a new installation...
                      01/24/03 03:24 PM

George,

NFS uses the /etc/exports file for configuration.  Type 'man exports'
for the gory details...

Your DNS domain name would be used only if you have a domain registered
to your static internet-addressable IP address, like georgebingham.net
or something.  Then your machine would be old68kbox.georgebingham.net
(substitute your hostname for old68kbox).  It doesn't sound like you do,
so this line should be blank.

The configuration files are under /etc/rc.d for starting your network
interfaces.  'man rc.d' and 'man inetd.conf' will give you some ideas on
how services are starting and how to configure them.  /etc/inetd.conf
starts things like telnet and ftp.  Be sure to back up any files in /etc
before modifying!

LR

On Fri, 2003-01-24 at 15:55, George Bingham wrote:

> Lincoln,
>
>     I don't think so, it's just another network setup question that I
don't
> understand. And one that I wondered if it was set to something
appropriate,
> would I be having problems starting the nfs daemon?
>
>    But, is there an nfs configuration file? where is it?
>
> Thanks
>
> George
>

> George Bingham
>

>                       Lincoln Rutledge

>                       <lrutledge@fairfield        To:       George
Bingham/Lenexa/IBM@IBMUS
>                       .lib.oh.us>                 cc:

>                                                   Subject:  Re: Question
on starting nfsd on a new installation...
>                       01/24/03 11:43 AM

> George,
>
> Is dnsdomainname a field in the nfs configuration file?
>
> Lincoln
>
> On Fri, 2003-01-24 at 11:27, George Bingham wrote:
> >

> > Hello,
> >
> >     On the opposite spectrum from compilers compiling themselves... I'm
> > having a problem just getting a Debian install (of woody) going at all
> > on my Quadra 660 AV. I believe this time to have my home network setup
> > at least to where it'll see other machines on my local net and also out
> > to the internet. So now it's time for my first real boot after all the
> > installation is done. I've exported a directory on my hard drive that
> > I've copied the contents of a cdrom onto for use with another machine
> > without a functioning cdrom drive, and while booting, after it enters
> > runlevel 2, and after it's loaded inetd and statd and lockd, it's stuck
> > at loading nfsd. The machine seems to be locked up. At least I don't
> > know how to interrupt it. And I can't get to another virtual console
> > either.
> >
> >     Any ideas? The network is setup as a static ip, where I'm supplying
> > it's netmask, broadcast, and gateway ips, and it's hosts file has my
> > other machines listed. (However, for itself it just has the local
> > loopback address, should I have put it's network IP address ? If so,
> > what do I do with the localhost entry?)
> >
> >   I am also confused on this dnsdomainname thing. dnsdomainname returns
> > nothing, which is appropriate because I have not set it to anything.
I'm