Amiga 2000, GVP 030, 16 Meg vs 12 Meg

Hello,

I've been working on installing Woody on my Amiga 2000 with
16 Meg on the GVP Combo 030 board and 6 Meg on a GVP RAM
expansion card on the Zorro II bus (2 Meg on this card are
disabled for the EGS Spectrum video card.

Previously, I only had 12 Meg on the GVP 030-Combo card, and
I was able to install Potato from a CD-Rom.  After I upgraded
to a full 16 Meg on the GVP 030-Combo card, I found that
Potato would not run, so I tried installing Woody, and
discovered that it suffered from the same problem.

Has anyone else been able to install Woody on an Amiga
system with 030 and 16 Meg?  The problem I see is that the
SCSI bus will lock up when attempting to boot with 16 Meg
enabled.  The hard disk light will just stay on, and the
boot process will not continue.  A minute or so later,
SCSI bus error messages will start to scroll up the screen,
but the boot does not recover.

I have been able to get Woody installed, but only when
I have the first 12 Megs enabled via a memfile as specified
in the Amiboot-5.6 documentation.  I have created several
memfiles to test, with 16 Meg, 12 Meg, 22 Meg, and 18 Meg
(the last two configurations have the Zorro II ram enabled).

The memory works fine under AmigaDos operation.  I have
filled the RAM: drive with .lha files, copying them and
deleting them, and have not observed any problems when
testing the archives.

I have tried different SCSI drives, thinking that it
was a drive problem with no change in results.

I have tried Kernel 2.2.20 and 2.2.10.

The problem is not only with installation, but booting too.
Once installed, booting with 16 Meg enabled will cause
SCSI bus lock-ups.

Perhaps a relate issue.  When I have 16 Meg on the GVP
030-Combo card enabled, the CD-Rom drive (/dev/sr0) is
not mounted, although it is discovered during the SCSI
Inquiry phase where all the devices on the SCSI controller
are identified.  I have noticed that others have had
problems with the CD-Rom drive devices automatically
being created.  The devices are created fine when only
12 Meg is enabled on the GVP 030-Combo card.

An example of my memfile:

1048576
0x01000000 12582912
0x200000 6291456

The first line gives the amount of chip, the second line enables
the first 12 Meg of the memory on the GVP 030-Combo card and the
last line enables 6 Meg on the GVP Zorro II memory expansion card.
Amiboot-5.6 would otherwise auto-detect the full 16 Meg on the
GVP 030-Combo card.

So,

1). Just so I know that it works, has anyone else been able
to install Potato/Woody on an Amiga 2000 with a GVP 030-Combo
card with 16 Meg enabled?

2). Has anyone else seen this problem?

Thanks,

--Lance

--
Lance Tagliapietra | lancetag@luminet.net | Contract Software Engineer
Amiga Enthusiast   |   TeXnically Aware   | Embedded Systems Developer