Re: Are we losing users to Gentoo?

* "Noah L. Meyerhans"

| I really wonder when debian-installer will be in a releasable state on
| something like ARM or mipsel or s390.  I'm not convinced we will make a
| release before 2005.

The only arches where d-i actually works are i386 and s390.

| (As an aside, yes, I have started investigating porting debian-installer
| to non-x86 architectures.  This is not because I give a flying fuck
| about them, but because I can't stand the thought that it might take us
| 2 years to release sarge.  Personally, I'd rather drop support (in
| sarge, not necessarily sid) for archs that aren't installable by some
| deadline.)

Let's first have a working installer on at least a few arches before
walking down that road.  However, it is a problem which I was notified
of a few days ago: d-i relies heavily on devfs and, well, 2.4 doesn't
work on m68k and it doesn't look like it will in the foreseeable
future.  So, help with getting this worked out will be appreciated.

Cross posted to -boot and -68k, followups to -boot, please.

                                                                      `. `'
                                                                        `-