Re: Gotten new Computer: Mac IIvx ;-))^

On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 01:34:56PM +0200, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> I have gotten a IIvx but witout any OS on it. The Mac has 40 MB
> HD and I think 8 MB of memory... and unfortunately no NIC and CD.
>
> I do not know, how to install Debian on it...
> Please can anyone point me to the right install manual ore
> something like this.
>
> Which vwesion should I install ??? hamm, slink, potato, woody ?

Here's an install guide for potato:

http://www.mac.linux-m68k.org/docs/debian-2.2-mac68k-install.php

I think that's the latest that the installer is known to work. You
should be able to update it to woody in any case, although I'm
pretty sure I haven't tried it myself yet.

> In summary, I have all mirrors local from buzz to slink complette
> and potato and woody the i386.
>
> I like to use a bigger harddisk on it, Please can anyone tell me
> which the maximum size is... and wether there is a special mac-HD ?

I don't think there is a strict maximum size. The old filesystem in
System 7 has problems with large partitions, but you should be fine
as long as you don't try to make any really big HFS partitions. The
only thing special about the Mac you have in terms of disks is that
it uses 50 pin SCSI disks, which are getting harder to find. Apple
HD SC Setup, which is the official Apple partitioning tool will only
partition specific disks, but it can be patched to use any disk. The
official Apple CD-ROM driver is really picky about CD-ROMs, so if you
just connect any old SCSI CD-ROM drive, it will probably only work
in linux.

	Brad Boyer
	flar@allandria.com