X Windows (woody) and M68K problem

Hi there,

OK - I'm not sure if this is an M68k problem or a generic problem, but since it
relates to my display, I thought I'd try here first.

As some of you will know, I've had some real problems getting linux installed at
all, but after successfully cludging a hybrid Potato with the 3.0 kernal
install, I decided to let apt loose and used dselect to upgrade everything (174
meg download over a dial up connection, which took a day and a half, so I'm
hoping to fix things rather than go back to Potato).

Anyway, xdm starts on booting linux, and was working fine (apart from a small
problem) using the 2.2 CDs. Since upgrading, however, as soon as X Windows
starts, the screen mode causes my monitor to loose sync, and it automatically
goes into standby mode, meaning I can't see anything. I've tried the
Ctrl-Alt-F1 keyboard combination to get back to the console (which is OK)
hoping to get some control back, but nothing happens. This particular 3 finger
salute has only worked sporadically anyway, so I can't even be sure it's
switching.

Using 2.2, I was using FBDev to manage the display. I assume somethin has
changed in either XF86Config, or fb.modes. I have both of the working configs
backed up, but since I can't see what's going on, I can't even attempt to
restore backups.

What I really need is to be able to disable xdm at startup (similar to booting
without startup-sequence on the Amiga) but I don't know how.

To make matters worse, some of the update failed owing to a lack of disk space
:o( I've freed some up so will be able to finish the update, when I can get
back into linux.

Any ideas, anyone? My hardware config is as per my sig.

All the best

Steve
--
     // A1200 '060 50Mhz, 2+64Meg, EZ-Tower,  2 x 3 Gig IDE
    //  Power CD-ROM, IDE CDRW, HPDJ610C, OS 3.9, SquirrelSCSI

Author of:- GHelp, Blitzdock, Blitzpass, Placemouse, WBCycle, Amiga Draughts and
ScalosEject.

PGP Public Key:-

http://www.hargreavess.freeserve.co.uk/SteveHargreavesPGP.asc

I'm going to go sleep this off. Please let me know if there is any other way we
can screw up tonight.
-- Kirk, "Star Trek VI"