Re: xserver-xfree86 on Woody 3.0r0

On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 08:11:54AM -0400, Hank wrote:
> Just a few comments on X (4.1.0.1):
>
> Finally got it running after working around a few problems: (Quadra
> 840AV, 1 MB
> video memory).
>
> Looks better than the old one. Just noticed that you couldn't switch
> back to the
> console using the "Ctrl + Alt + Fx" combination anymore.
>
> X fails using 2 bit color, and 4 bit color. Works fine on 8 bit mode. 16
> bit mode produced a lot of funky colors. When it failed on 2 or 4 bit it
> left a log message saying unsupported pixel format.

I'd say that it doesn't look better than the old one, then ;-)

> By the way, why doesn't Debian have a multiuser run level where you can
> still use xdm, gdm, or kdm, etc. and not have to have to log in with the
> window manager. This would greatly help out debugging problems with an X
> server. Redhat offers the choice of being able to log in with a console
> after loading their kdm, gdm, etc.  rpm. But once a window manager is
> selected in Debian, you're stuck with this rebooting Xserver if you have
> a bug in your config file. I finally just deleted the symbolic links to
> kdm, gdm, and xdm out of the /etc/rc2.d directory. Looks like rc3.d,
> rc4.d, and rc5.d are identical. Why can't runlevel 3 be used for the
> default runlevel for the window managers, and leave runlevel 2 for use
> as a multiuser console login--even if a window manager package is
> selected. Would save a lot of time on an m68k machine, and would keep a
> lot of new users from becoming frustrated:-)

Because Debian thinks differently about that stuff than RedHat does. If
you want {kxgw}dm, install it. If you don't want it, don't.

On RedHat, X Servers depend on xdm (or one of its replacements), which
means that it must be possible to swith it off using configuration. No
such thing on a Debian system.

Indeed every runlevel is the same _by default_. This leaves more
runlevels available for the admin to customize, if he so wants to.