Re: xfree86 4.2.1-0pre1v1 available at the X Strike Force

On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 11:36:13AM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:

> Okay, for m68k I will make x-window-system core depend on
> xserver-xfree86-dbg instead of xserver-xfree86.

isn't xserver-xfree86-dbg compiled without optimisations? That
would be bad on slower m68k machines.

> I beseech you to help debug and fix the XFree86 module loader on m68k.

I sure will, but I am away next 6 weeks or so.

> The static server's massive size -- especially unstripped -- is more
> strongly felt on m68k boxen than on most other Debian architectures.

it is really only disk space, other than that we have demand paging.
Also I strongly suspect demand paging works much better with statically
linked server because very little code from rarely used (on m68k)
modules like GL extensions will be paged in upon initialisation.
With a module loading server such modules will be mmaped and because
of the relocation a lot of the code will be paged in.

Richard