Debian on a Mac Quadra 700

I'm attempting to turn a comprehensively redundant Quadra 700 into something
useful.

The beast has 20Mb RAM, and an external 1Gb 'd2' (that's what it says on the
front) disc in addition to the internal 40Mb drive.

I've made a root and a swap partition on the external disc.

Installing Woody via Penguin 1.9 is not going well, though. Frequently the boot
gets stuck at video initialisation, showing the b/w penguin and 'ABCDEFGHIJ'.
Other times it boots properly and installation begins, only to run into the
sand in a variety of ways, often involving one of several kernel panics
(dereferencing NULL pointer, Freeing swap cache etc.) Otherwise files are
reported as corrupt after downloading, or it just freezes up.

I see the Quadra 700 is on the hardware list as working fine. MacOS doesn't
seem to have any trouble working properly.

Anyone care to comment if the Woody standard kernel is OK with a Quadra 700, or
make any suggestions?

--
Jim Hague - jim.hague@insignia.com (Work), jim@bear-cave.org.uk (Play)
Never trust a computer you can't lift.