Re: V3 Amiga install problem

>> I got debian 3 installed OK, but I've hit some problems since:-
>>
>> 1. When linux has booted, as soon as I login with login name/password, the
>> screen goes black, and hangs. This is a sporadic problem. I can login
>> successfully perhaps 1 out of 4 attempts - and I've no idea why. I can get
>> debug output for you if it would help, but I can't see any clues in it myself.
>
> wrong password? login how, on the console, gdm, xdm, whateverdm? I do not
> understand what you are doing from your description, but maybe somebody else
> does.

i installed X from apt (X windows Task from tasksel) and it
automatically installs xdm, maybe thats why u cant see anything (X
configured wrong)

>> 2. I can't get xfree to start. At first it complained about not "No screens
>> found", and after searching around the web, I used dpkg -reconfigure to set up
>> xfree using the virgeS3 driver - now it just quits without a specific error
>> (Caught error 11 or something like that). The XFree log doesn't show anything.
>
> As Branden always says, show us the full log, if it doesn't tell you
> anything it does not mean it doesn't tell us anything.
> There is no virgeS3 driver for m68k, we use fbdev only. When you installed
> XFree86, that should have been the driver in your config. There are some
> docs on the CD, in the install files and my webpage about the different
> (kernel) drivers, ie there is a virgefb driver, but to XFree86 its just
> another fbdev.

try using the fbdev driver, then typing:
	export FRAMEBUFFER=/dev/fb0
	startx
from the console, thats how i got my PicassoIV card working. (still
cant get 1280x1024 working but thats another story ;)