Re: Update: New Installation problem on SE/30

On Sat, Jun 15, 2002 at 02:25:08PM -0500, Christian T. Steigies wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 15, 2002 at 12:08:56PM -0700, Chris Tillman wrote:
> > On Sat, Jun 15, 2002 at 12:12:06PM -0500, Christian T. Steigies wrote:
> > > On Sat, Jun 15, 2002 at 08:25:18AM -0700, William Crowshaw wrote:
> >
> > > Have to check that again, I thought there was a console 4 listing what steps
> > > are executed.
> >
> > console 4 comes into play only during the base install (debootstrap output).
>
> which is what he is trying to do, so there should be a console 4, right?

No, I'm talking about the actual Base Install step on the menu, towards the end.

> > > So whats the deal about the names for the partitions? Is there any info on
> > > the web out there which has to be added to the install doc?
> >
> > Only the swap partition has to be named swap, the others it doesn't matter
> > what you call them.

> You have to give it this name in macos? Does mac-fdisk do this for you when
> you partition in linux?

No, on both counts. But you have to make sure you give it the correct name in
mac-fdisk.

> > The reason AIUI is there is no Swap partition type on Apple format disks,
> > all the unix partitions are one type. So the name is needed to identify it.
>
> Can you add something describing this to the install docs in the CVS? Or
> send me something a macuser can understand that I can add to the woody FAQ?
> I am not sure if I understand this yet... but he seems to have his
> partitions right, at least fdisk recognized them correctly.

Hmmm. here's what's in the install manual:

<![ %mac-fdisk.txt [
See the <url id="mac-fdisk.txt" name="mac-fdisk manual page"> for
information on how to create partitions.  One key point, is that the
swap partition is identified on Mac type disks by its name; it must be
named `swap'. Please read the fine manual. We also suggest reading the
<url id="&url-mac-fdisk-tutorial;" name="mac-fdisk Tutorial">, which
includes steps you should take if you are sharing your disk with
MacOS.  ]]>

And, as it mentions, it's also covered in the mac-fdisk manual.