Re: Update: New Installation problem on SE/30

***
>On Sat, Jun 15, 2002 at 08:25:18AM -0700, William
Crowshaw
>wrote:
>>
>> /dev/sda1  map Apple 63 @ 1 (31.5k) Partition map
>> /dev/sda2  Dr43 Macintosh  32 @ 64 (16.0k) Driver
4.3
>> /dev/sda3  HFS MacOS 17368 @ 96 (8.5M) HFS
>> /dev/sda4  unix swap 57437 @ 17464 (28.0M) Linux
swap
>> /dev/sda5  unix root 640979 @ 74901 (313.0M) Linux
>> native.
>> Block size=512, Number of Blocks=715880
>
>So, /dev/sda4 and 5 were not created in MacOS, right?
Or if they
>were, they were deleted and re-created in fdisk using
the c
>command?

Both /dev/sda4 and 5 were created in the MacOS using a
patched drive setup
that would make them unix partitions, not HFS.  When
that didn't work, I created 4 and 5 with fdisk (or
whatever its called) during the initial phase
of the install.  What you are looking at here are
those partitions creating using the debian utility.

>> >Does it exist in /target/dev?
>> >
>> No, sr0 does not exist in /target.  Nor does /dev
>> exist in /target.  Another installer mistake?
>
>It's too early in the installation for there to be
much in
>/target.
>
>> About the CD, at this point, the CD really hasn't
even
>> come into play.  But as I can see from
>> console 3's error message, the installer
immediately
>> tries to amount the CD even though
>> it has not asked me if I want to install from a CD.

>> As far as I am concerned, I think this is
>> wrong and ought to be fixed.
>
>It's that way for the ease of new users who are using
bootable
>CDs.

No comment, my opinion still stands.  Where's the
debian policy on "ease
of use"?

>> Anyway, the CD I will eventually try to use is the
>> Debian Potato CD's.  In my past
>> SE/30 installation, I took the macinstall.tar.gz
from
>> your ~cts ftp site.  This is supposed
>> to be for woody.  The macinstall.tar.gz for the old
>> Potato CD does not work.  Anyway, when the
installer
>> asks for the base files, I point it to the file
>> base2_2.tgz on the Potato CD, instead of pointing
>> woody's base2_4. This has worked in the past
>> perfectly.
>
>This won't work with the woody installer, it expects
to find
>a differently-formatted and differently-named base
file. I
>think you must have been using a potato installer, or
woody
>before version 3.0 (pre April 2001). What's wrong
with potato's
>macinstall?

Potato's macinstall contains, if I recall, kernel
2.2.10.  The scsi
drivers in this kernel are screwed up for at least my
Mac, because
the kernel installer can't recognize the Mac's SCSI
hard drive and
the SCSI CD-Rom I have attached to the Mac.
Installation is futile
using 2.2.10.  This problem has been solved at least
in 2.2.17.  However,
there is no macinstall.tar.gz anymore that was built
aroung this kernel
version.  I had one, but lost it. My install problems
now are my own
fault.

>> sense, I AM the expert when it comes to installing
>> Debian on a SE/30.  I did it last year and wrote a
>> lengthy how-to about my experience.  Reinstalling,
>> I have been embarassed to find out that my how-to
is
>> not worth anything due to faults with the current
>> installer. I'm try to save face and fix this
how-to,
>> otherwise I pull it.
>
>Where is your howto, maybe I can give you some
pointers on
>what's
>changed.

www.geocities.com/wcrowshaw.geo/mac68kpotato_install.txt.
 It's not pretty,
but its definitely better than the docs provided with
potato.

>woody would probably fit, and you have enough memory,
>are
>you determined to have potato? The kernel is the
same.

I'm stuck on woody for several reasons.
1) Potato is presumably more stable
2) I don't see any need to be on the cutting edge of
Debian, when stable doesn't work that hot.  I'll
choose the stabler of the 2.
3) Practical consideration: I no longer have access to
a CD burner which I could use to burn the woody iso's
onto CDs.  I am stuck with the potato CD's instead
which I already own.
4) No T1 connection, so I have to use CDs to install.