Re: deb file question

On Thursday 25 April 2002 09:32, David Kachel wrote:
> bian-68k@lists.debian.org
>
> I am on my third (and last) go 'round trying to get Debian m68k to
> install on anything, having literally wasted weeks! (I've installed a
> half dozen other flavors of *nix without problems.)
>
> I am trying to install on a Mac SE-30 with 32megs of RAM and a 700 meg
> HD. I have the latest CD potato set for the Mac 68k.
>
> I have read through every last month of the archives, page by page and it
> would appear that only a tiny handful of people have successfully
> installed Debian on this machine, and they don't appear to be talking
> much about how they did it. <grin>
>
> Most of the problems people seem to have encountered with the SE-30
> involve freezes during the intial boot process when trying to start an
> install. That is where I hang too.
>
> One promising suggestion was that one should try different kernels as the
> kernel selected apparently won't work with the SE-30. (Is this true?)
> However, if the problem is that one cannot start the inst
> all process,
> then obviously there are no Linux tools yet available to do anything with
> the .deb files in which the other kernels are packaged, making them
> unavailable. So just how do I try another kernel if I have no
> Debian/Linux system with which to unpack those .deb files? Is there any
> place I can download them in a format I can use?
>
> It's been a couple of years since my last attempt to install Debian and I
> had hoped there might be some improvement in the documentation. There
> have obviously been changes, but improvement?...
>
> For example:
>
> 6.3.3 Installing from MacOS....
>
> <start quote>
>
> 6. At the MacOS desktop, start Linux installation process by
> double-clicking on the "Penguin Prefs" icon in the debian directory.....
> Go to the "Settings" item in the "File" menu and select the kernel and
> ramdisk images under the kernel tab in the debian directory by clicking
> on the corresponding buttons.....
>
> <end quote>
>

> <start rant>
>
> There is no file called "Penguin Prefs"
>
> There is no "image" called "kernel" (there is however a file, not an
> image, called "LINUX", which several people/web sites have pointed out to
> be the correct one)
>
> There is no
> "image" called "ramdisk" (but there is a file, not an image,
> called "ROOT.BIN", which again, several web pages have suggested is
> correct)
>
> Three file references are given in just that one paragraph and all three
> of them are wrong! I find the rest of the install docs equally obtuse. No
> wonder this distro is almost impossible to install. The instructions read
> like a Chinese-English translation of a VCR owner's manual! (Please, if
> anyone is so inclined, don't tell me about how its OK to produce bad docs
> because the authors are doing it for free. It isn't.)
>
> <end rant>

> [...]
I have installed Slink Debian on a SE30 some time ago, it was smooth as can
be expected and from memory I had no serious problems.

You may find more info here
http://www.linux-m68k.org/
http://www.jagshouse.com/Linuxm68k.html

There is definitely an issue with kernels, some will work and some won't.
Keyboard mapping should not be an issue with the right kernel. The penguin
booter will work however I seem to recall that there is a pram reset option
that can affect the reliability of boots.

Maybe you can hunt thru the archived files at
ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian-archive/dists/
for an older distribution.

david