Re: linux <==ethernet==> macos7 [OT]

On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 12:43:28PM +0100, Lo'oRiS il Kabukimono wrote:
> i installed netatalk on the linux pc, and i'm able to mount the linux disk
> under the mac, and i hope i'll figure how to ssh to it.
>
> but i have no idea on how i could see the mac using linux. mount, shell,
> ftp, anything would be nice. but i don't even have an idea on how to set
> the IP address on the mac!

Well, you're going to need to provide more info. The first thing is what
version of the system software is running on the mac. While in the Finder,
the first thing in the apple menu should be "About this Macintosh", and
that will pop up a window with some basic info about your machine, such
as the system software version, the hardware model, and the total RAM.

You'll probably be using the MacTCP control panel to set up IP, but
it didn't come with the system until 7.5. If you have 7.5 or newer,
you should be able to load the MacTCP control panel and set it up
however you need. The basics are fairly simple. You should be able
to find it in the Control Panel under the apple menu if it's installed.
MacTCP was available for older versions, but was packaged separately
in those days. If you need a newer version of the system, Apple has
System 7.5.5 available for download.

Seeing the mac from the linux box is tougher, and will require non-standard
software. There are a couple of SSH clients for the mac, but I'm not
sure if any of them support 68k. If nothing else, you could get NCSA Telnet
and be able to use the telnet protocol to login to your linux box. There
isn't a good AFP (Appleshare) client for linux, so sharing the mac drive
that direction is not really possible. A good FTP client for older Macs
is Fetch, which can be found any good download site.

	Brad Boyer
	flar@allandria.com