Re: can't boot linux

On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 12:12:10PM +0100, Lo'oRiS il Kabukimono wrote:
> Ray Knight <audilvr@speakeasy.org> :
> > tried booting MacOS without extensions? 8 MB could likely not be enough
>
> i also tried to boot from floppy, without extensions

Depending on the kernel, ramdisk, and options, 8M is still kind of tight.
Do you use a compressed kernel? That requires a little extra RAM to
uncompress the image before booting.

> > memory on a IIci.  Remember a IIci will use some of the first 1MB for
> > video, leaving it unavailable for Linux.
>
> since i have an additional video board, i hope the mac is not so stupid to
> eat my ram anyway... bout i wouldn't count on it :/

The RAM for the internal video is used any time it thinks there is a
monitor attached. If you have a NuBus video card, and nothing plugged
in to the port for the internal video, then it shouldn't allocate the
RAM for internal video.

	Brad Boyer
	flar@allandria.com