Re: V3 Amiga install problem

On Sat, Oct 12, 2002 at 11:58:40PM +0100, Steve Hargreaves wrote:

> 2. I can't get xfree to start. At first it complained about not "No screens
> found", and after searching around the web, I used dpkg -reconfigure to set up
> xfree using the virgeS3 driver - now it just quits without a specific error
> (Caught error 11 or something like that). The XFree log doesn't show anything.

see the appended /etc/X11/XFree86-4. Afaics you must set the resolution
and screen depth to match your resolution and adjust the mice.

I didn't have any success with the X from 3.0 or any later unstable
release, what helped was to install the statically linked version found
on Branden's pages (xserver-xfree86-dbg_4.2.1-0pre1v1_m68k.deb).
This appears to be the (still?) broken module loader.. it might work
fine on CPU's with smaller cache.

Also I noticed that swafish from 3.0 dies, not really a surprise for
me because librep was broken on m68k for very long time. I have yesterday
recompiled with gcc-3.2 and it seems to work reliably so there is hope..
meanwhile it would be good if m68k could have a different default wm
- fluxbox would be great.

Richard