Re: New Installation problem on SE/30

On Fri, Jun 14, 2002 at 09:28:27AM -0700, William Crowshaw wrote:
> The nolangchooser kernel/boot parameter works Great on
> my SE/30.  No more bog1 error and I actually make it

Nice to hear.

> into the installer. Just at "nolangchooser" to kernel
> parameters in Penguin 19.

You mean add? Anything a Mac user could do wrong there when you tell him to
"add it to the boot parameters"?

> Unfortunately, I have encountered a new problem.  The
> installer won't initialize and activate the partition
> that i have set aside as the swap partition. :(   I
> partitioned my hard drive using software on the mac
> and by using mac-fdisk during the installation
> process.  Either way, when I choose the initialize and
> activate option or activate a previously initialized
> swap partition, the installer scrolls the current
> screen up and returns to the installer screen that
> first greets the user, starting the installation over
> again.

>  I have not chosen to use the do-without-swap
> partition option, because I WANT a swap partition,
> although I could probably go without it since my Mac
> SE/30  has the max RAM possible a whopping 128MBs.
> Anyway, I'm stubborn and want a swap.  Anyone heard of
> this problem and what its solution is?

Yes, I think I've heard this before, did you search the list archive?
Now if you would tell us the error message that is displayed on the third
(or fourth?) console, somebody might actually be able to give you a hint.
(No I am not guessing here that you have a broken FPU/MMU/Mac).

Note that you can always add the swap partition later, by hand. Might be
worth a try to set it up manually now, so you will see what breaks.
Activate the shell in the second console, type

 mkswap /dev/whereveryourharddiskis

If nothing breaks, you successfully initialized a swap partition. Add it to
/etc/fstab (in the installed system) and do swapon -a to use the swap
partition. But 128MB are definitely enough to run the installer without
swap.

Christian