Re: Request for build: mpg123. - why I think its free

On Saturday, March 30, 2002, at 06:24  PM, Mark Eichin wrote:

several computers, I can tell you that it is just as free as Debian
Linux.

True, his license restricts usage to non-commercial. However, the GPL

Dude, you're on crack.  Read the DFSG some time.  Especially the clause:

     "No Discrimination Against Fields of Endeavor"

It isn't for you to judge what is "as free" or not; the DFSG *defines*
Free for debian.  While there is a process for changing that, absent
such changes, we *apply* it.

First off, I'm not on crack :)
Second, perhaps my email was not to define the word 'free', but rather to highlight the discrepancy of the usage of 'free' on this list, and to debian.

We can argue about what free software is else where. And you're right, according to that definition, this isn't free.

But I just want to point out to some people here that for most people who see beyond the debian definition of 'free', this is free software.

And, to some people (especially BSD users like myself), Linux fails the 'free' test.

But, once again, as far as this list, and debian is concerned, Mark has a point. The word 'free' is only useful when you understand how it is being defined, which I did not.