Re: (gnu)chess, I'm building it

James Troup <james@nocrew.org> writes:

> Philip Blundell <pb@nexus.co.uk> writes:
>
> > >A week might be conservative.  I've been building the package for
> > >2 or 3 days now and haven't made much of a dent.  I'll kill the
> > >build; there's quite a bit to do now.
> >
> > Yeah, it takes several days on ARM too.
>
> It takes 9 hours on a fast[1] i386, easily dwarfing most other
> packages[2].  Unfortunately the maintainer isn't overly responsive to
> this (see #102272 etc.) and Debian issues in general (see BTS, his
> packages etc.).
>
> IMNSHO this package should be ignored[3] until the maintainer can be
> convinced to do something other than a grand imitation of an ostrich.
> If you build it once, you're merely committing your architecture to
> keeping it up to date.

I'm doing some bugfixes on it. Small stuff, lintian errors and some
missing include files. I gonna have a look at the produced data
files. I'm pretty sure they are arch indep or can be made that
way. After that he gets an bugreport+patch and then an NMU.

They way it looks gnuchess should be split into two packages. chess
and chess-data, so not even a chess update trigers the long rebuild of
the data files. Not sure if that would create a cross dependency
though.

Once its done building I will have a look.

i386 and alpha are done, m68k at 65420 (of 180000). Having those three
archs I can compare 32/64 Bit and endianness of the datafile.

MfG
        Goswin