Re: Segmentation faults

On Tue, 8 Jan 2002, Sveinbjorn Thordarson wrote:

 Hi there

 I've just finished installing debian potato m68k on an LC 630 (a
 68LC040, no FPU).  Everything goes pretty well, except for the fact that
 after I've booted i get the following message when loading inetd:

 "Starting inetd superserver:
 INIT: Id "1" spawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes"

Unfortunately, you have a broken 68LC040. There's some bug in this
processor in the Floating Point Exception-handling and Memory-management
part of it. If you're interested in the specifics, please search the
archives of the newsgroup comp.os.linux.m68k (for instance at
groups.google.com), it's the most frequently asked question there.

 Is this the FPU emulation layer failing?

No, the hardware is.

 Is there anything I can do
 about it?

Install a good LC040 in your system, or better yet, a full 68040.

wouter dot verhelst at advalvas dot be

"Human knowledge belongs to the world"
  -- From the movie "Antitrust"