Re: Segmentation faults

On Tue, 8 Jan 2002, Sveinbjorn Thordarson wrote:

 Hi there

 I've just finished installing debian potato m68k on an LC 630 (a
 68LC040, no FPU).  Everything goes pretty well, except for the fact that
 after I've booted i get the following message when loading inetd:

 "Starting inetd superserver:
 INIT: Id "1" spawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes"

Unfortunately, you have a broken 68LC040. There's some bug in this
processor in the Floating Point Exception-handling and Memory-management
part of it. If you're interested in the specifics, please search the
archives of the newsgroup comp.os.linux.m68k (for instance at
groups.google.com), it's the most frequently asked question there.

[...]
 Is this the FPU emulation layer failing?

No, the hardware is.

 Is there anything I can do
 about it?

Install a good LC040 in your system, or better yet, a full 68040.

<snip>

--
wouter dot verhelst at advalvas dot be

"Human knowledge belongs to the world"