Re: Tape drive support in 2.2.10 kernal

Hi Christian,

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my queries.  Perhaps I was
not clear in my question.  To give you the additional information you
requested, yes, the tape drive is seen by the kernel during boot up
(sorry, I don't have a dmesg to attach right now).  I guess I was
expecting the kernel to tell me which device it had associated the
tape drive to, like it does with my CD-ROM drive when it detects it
at boot.

> > Under Linux I do not see a tape device (st0, rst0). Are the tape
> > devices not given in the default install?
> Do you have the device files?
>
> root@gleep:~>ll /dev/st0*
> crw-rw----    1 root     tape       9,   0 Jul  5  2000 /dev/st0
> crw-rw----    1 root     tape       9,  96 Jul  5  2000 /dev/st0a
> crw-rw----    1 root     tape       9,  32 Jul  5  2000 /dev/st0l
> crw-rw----    1 root     tape       9,  64 Jul  5  2000 /dev/st0m
> root@gleep:~>ll /dev/rst0*
> ls: /dev/rst0*: No such file or directory

I do not have any of those devices.  Are they supposed to be created
during the install procedure?  I am installing off a 3 cd set
which have 2.2r0.  I did have problems installing from that set, it
dies in tasksel, which from checking the buglist seems to have been
a known bug with some scripts in base-config which was corrected right
after the r0 release. It seemed to have enough installed to bring the
system up, and it has been a learning experience from there.

Between dpkg, dselect and apt I have been installing pieces of
the system from the CD-ROMs I have.

I've also been reading the list archives to help get more up to speed.

I have downloaded the new 2.2.19 kernel from your website.  I will
give that a try.  I am looking forward to using the clgen debug
text fixes that I read about in the archvies.

> I think rst0 is named differently under linux, but its been some years since
> I last used a DAT drive (and I did use it under linux on my Amiga!).
>
> As for your other problem, only because linux-m68k supports something, does
> not mean that the driver is included in the debian/m68k stock kernel. There
> are various reasons why one particular driver can be left out, space being
> one. So if its included, and buildable as a module, it is probably built as
> a module only, maybe you did not inser the module (during installation).
> Check the config file to see if its built in or as a module or not at all.
> If its not built, time to build your custom kernel, you always wanted to do
> that anyway to tweek a few percent more performance out of your box.

Thanks for the tips.  Compiling a kernel is something I was going to go
after when I got the 2.2.19 installed and booting.

--
Lance Tagliapietra | lancetag@luminet.net | Contract Software Engineer
Amiga Enthusiast   |   TeXnically Aware   | Embedded Systems Developer