Serial port woes

Hi,

On a PowerBook 190cs using kernel 2.4.1-20010311, I can boot to a login prompt
and use the system fully, except for serial ports.

During boot I get the following messages:
modprobe:  modprobe:  Can't locate module char-major-4
modprobe:  modprobe:  Can't locate module char-major-4
(repeats several times)
modprobe:  modprobe:  Can't locate module char-major-4
/dev/ttyS0: No such device
modprobe:  modprobe:  Can't locate module char-major-4
/dev/ttyS1: No such device
modprobe:  modprobe:  Can't locate module char-major-4
/dev/ttyS2: No such device

etc. for the other ttyS* 's

This is very very strange, because I preconfigured the printer port (the only
port on the PowerBook 190cs) and was able to use "debug=ser" to send logs to
another mac.  So I know that somewhere in that kernel, my serial is working.

Any help would be much appreciated.  The system isn't too useful if I can't
hook up to a modem.

-Ian