Re: Debian on a Macintosh LC?

On Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 10:53:13PM +0200, Ulf Wetzker wrote:
> i have an old mac lc and i just tried to install debian on it! i tried
which version?
> to follow the instructions on mac.linux-m68k.org but the problem is that
why don't you follow the instructions that come with debian? I'm not a mac
guy, I don't know what people on mac.linux-m68k.org write, but the debian
instructions have been written/improved by mac users.

> the lc is the only mac with a disk drive i have. so i have to download
> the software with my pc, then i copy the software to a dos formated
> disk. but here is the problem: i do not have the stuffit expander on mac
> os 7.0 (i downloaded an older version but it is packed too :( ? ) and
> mac os says that these files are pc formated and cannot be opened.
the files are pc formatted? you mean the disk is pc formatted?
Get stuffit expander. It must be somewhere out there, if its not part of the
OS, how did anybody ever get it on his mac?
Or was it binhex?
A little google search gave me this page:
 http://helpdesk.uvic.ca/how-to/support/mac/hqx.html
I guess you can find everything you need from there.
(and it would be nice if some mac user with a little time looked at the
install instructions and made it a little clearer? Especially wrt woody...)

> so is there a way to get them working? or can i download some boot-disks
> and can i make them on my pc?
AFAIK floppies are not (or not very well) supported on any m68k. Makeing
boot-floppies for your mac will not help. Why don't you use a CD-Rom?

Christian
--
http://people.debian.org/~cts/debian-m68k/potato