Re: Debian on a Macintosh LC?

On Tue, 4 Sep 2001, Ulf Wetzker wrote:

> sorry for my last mail in german *g*

No problem ;-)

> ok, here is my problem:
> i have an old mac lc and i just tried to install debian on it! i tried
> to follow the instructions on mac.linux-m68k.org but the problem is that
> the lc is the only mac with a disk drive i have. so i have to download
> the software with my pc, then i copy the software to a dos formated
> disk. but here is the problem: i do not have the stuffit expander on mac
> os 7.0 (i downloaded an older version but it is packed too :( ? ) and
> mac os says that these files are pc formated and cannot be opened.
> so is there a way to get them working? or can i download some boot-disks
> and can i make them on my pc?

Do you have any other Linux-box?

If so, you can install the hfstools on that box, and copy the needed files
to a HFS-formatted disk using these tools:

hmount /dev/floppy
hcopy blah.hqx :
humount /dev/floppy

then move the floppy to your mac. hcopy will unpack any .hqx in the
process of copying the files to the floppy.

--
wouter dot verhelst at advalvas in Belgium

This is Linux world. On a quiet day, you can hear Windows reboot.